THIS HOME IS NEWLY RENOVATED!!
Guests will enjoy this colonial home located in the quaint town of New Berlin. Guests will delight in the picturesque setting from the private backyard with views of the famous Penns Creek and lovely established farms. Guests will appreciate their direct recreational access to the water right on the property. New Berlin, being centrally located, is a 10-15 minute drive to Lewisburg, Mifflinburg, and Selinsgrove. Winery, pottery, water recreation -all close by.
This home, built circa 1850 is unique in several ways from the old fashioned side porch, original log accents, old wood floors, wide window sills and hand-hewn beams. Relax in the living room with the original log cabin wall and exposed beams in front of the warm fireplace. This room has an intimate, snug and warm feeling. Although visitors will enjoy the charm of days gone by they will appreciate the modern touches of the home’s complete renovation in 2019. Craftsman restored the original logs and chinking from the home. Exposed rough cut beams adorn the living room and upstairs bedrooms. Renters will enjoy the space of three bedrooms plus an additional child’s loft space for playing or sleeping. One of the bedrooms is a traditional colonial “keeping room”. In colonial times the keeping room was next to the kitchen to take advantage of the kitchen heat. A keeping room is a combination sitting room and sleeping room and utilizes convertible sofa bed to keep the traditional keeping room functionality. Guests enter the keeping room through double barn doors. This room has a relaxing feel with water-views and access to the yard. In addition to the keeping room/bedroom, guests will likely spend time gathering around the gas fireplace in the living room.
The home has two bedrooms upstairs with a full bathroom between the rooms. The feeling of space is accented by the 12 foot high ceiling emulating post and beam construction. This first bedroom has a queen size bed. The second bedroom has room to sleep five people with three single twin beds and a children’s loft with a full mattress. The headroom to the top of the loft is about 5 feet. The downstairs living room also have sleeping options with a queen sofa bed.
Guests will value the professional landscaped backyard that has a wood and wire fence to keep pets and children safe while maintaining the water-views. There is a sunken area with a stone fire pit to enjoy toasting marshmallows. There is also a large alfresco dining area. The back yard is accented with low stone walls built by hand. The tall cedar fence on the west side of the yard provides complete privacy. The east side is blocked by the homes tall, rustic, barn-like garage.
Guests will appreciate the quiet one-way street of this location. Traffic is minimal since most cars are headed to the few homes on this street. The locations is an easy walk to the town’s park that has a boat (kayak) launch and playground area. It is a nice area for a walk along the creek with your favorite person or four-legged friend. This park is used for the town's July 4th festivities and fireworks. Guests will also enjoy walking through town and checking out the Victorian architecture and gardens of the homes.
Don't be surprised if you see horse and buggies on the road. This area still enjoys the rich culture of an Amish and Mennonite community. Many have small businesses in the area that you are encouraged to shop at such as grocery stores with bakeries, plant nurseries/greenhouses, road side stands, fabric stores, farm goods and harness shops.
A benefit to the town of New Berlin is that it is centrally located to several towns and things to do. Close by visits are antique shops, a winery, a pottery, wildlife parks, shopping, Knoebels amusement and water park, and historic sites. Here are some ideas for you to consider…
• Visit State Park R B Winter and hike, swim, or bike.
• Fish, kayak or tube the famous Penns Creek. Close by kayak rentals call 570-966-4104.
• Go for lunch at The Fence (Milton) an outdoor drive-in or outdoor eatery that overlooks the river.
• Visit T&Ds Cats of the World (Penns Creek), Reptile Land (Allenwood), or take a safari ride at Lake Tobias Wildlife Park (Halifax).
• Schedule time at the any of the area golf courses, Shade Mountain, Bucknell or Selinsgrove.
• Hike or bike ride the scenic rails to trails and stop for sweet soft ice cream along the route at The Purple Cow.
• Swim at any of the three community pools or wade in Penns Creek or visit an amusement park such as Knoebels Grove (Elysburg) (free to enter) or Hershey Park (Hershey).
• Take a day to shop at the many antique and specialty shops in Mifflinburg, Lewisburg, or Selinsgrove. Go for a spa treatment at one of the local spas.
• Visit the buggy museum in town. Take in a movie at an Art Deco movie theater in Lewisburg or at the cinema at the Selinsgrove Mall.
• Visit Penns Creek Pottery, or visit the nearby winery vineyards, Shade Mountain Winery, and sample some of the locally made wines. Watch the evening races in the town of Penns Creek.
• Bike rentals are in close proximity to cottage.
• Fitness Center is available in Mifflinburg.
• Spy Glass winery has summer concert events.
• Places to eat: Carriage Corner, Rusty Rail Brew Pub, OIPs, and there is a new small bakery in Mifflinburg called Gable House
• New Berlin, Mifflinburg, and Lewisburg all have small parks. The one in New Berlin is a short walk from the house.
• Mennonite stores such as Wenger’s Grocery or Green Ridge Markets - both in Mifflinburg.
• Many places to shop in both Lewisburg and Selinsgrove.
**Or just relax on the back deck or backyard, watch the kayakers float by, have s'mores by the fire pit, and enjoy the view!
Bucknell University and Susquehanna University are an easy 13 mile drive from cottage. Penn State University is a 1 hour drive.
New Berlin, Πενσυλβάνια, Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες της Αμερικής