I am sorry that Susan left this review as I think it doesn't reflect the quality of our place.
I did my very best to ensure the Susan and her family would have a lovely time when she and her family stayed at my place. I had hosted few other guests in Byron Bay and never had a complaint. The guests who stayed just after Susan (who paid more than what she did) were really happy about our place, so that's a shame that Susan felt that way.
Susan and her family (3 people) paid only $99 per night for a 2 bedroom place in Byron Bay, which is extremely low for such a busy period in Byron Bay (all hotels would be at least $250 per night for only 2 people). I don't think she realizes that she really had a great deal but sill complained, which I feel very sorry about. Susan is a Hotel Critic in the UK, so she is probably used to 4/5 stars hotels, which is not what we are offering here. I wish she could understand the values of Airbnb a bit better and what this great community of travelers and hosts are offering.
But here's few points I would like to clarify:
- As most of Airbnb places ( I am note sure if Susan understands that most Airbnb places are not hotel rooms), the place we have rented during school holidays is our home the rest of the year and I clearly explained to her (in the main description and by private message) that the 2nd bedroom is my daughter's bedroom where I left her painting and drawings in the wall. So she knew about the 2nd bedroom and the paintings.
- It's clearly stated in the description that the place is 10mn drive from the center. Which is quite lovely as the Byron center is quite busy, but still few minutes from the beaches and the center. Otherwise, it is a residential area, which is quite lovely and quite. Sunrise beach is only 10mnn drive away though.
- It is true that our place is very close to our neighbors so that's something I will mention in the description. But it didn't seem to bother the other guests.
- Bed linen are brand new. Once again, Susan being a Hotel Critic is used to hotel and probably not Airbnb places.
- Yes, small plates cracked by my daughter but will make sure I replace them.
- I had guests leaving late the same day so I asked Susan if she could arrive a bit later, 4/5pm in the afternoon. As she complained, I made sure the place was ready for 3pm but she arrived late and I had to call her to know at what time she was arriving.
- She tried to negotiate on the cleaning fee (which are $60, not too expensive) but I explained to her that the fees were not negotiable. Once again I don't think she realized how cheap our place was for this busy period in Byron Bay.
- It's probably best for Susan to go to a hotel for Susan next time she travels, which are much more expensive than our place.
I would not recommend Susan as a guest and I wish she could understand the spirit of Airbnb a bit better.